Crispy Fried Squid
4 Tbsp cornflour
1 Large free range egg
4 Tbsp potato starch powder
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp ground white pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying
1. Using a sharp knife, remove the tentacles from the squid and trim. Slice the bodies down one side and open out to give a flat piece. Remove any cartilage left.
2. Holding the knife at a 45°angle, score the flat pieces with a criss-cross pattern then cut each piece into four, also whilst holding the knife at a 45° angle.
3. Beat the egg and mix together the cornflour, salt, white pepper. This mixture should resemble a thick paste like texture. Add any extra cornflour, or a few drops of milk to achieve the ‘pasty’ consistency.
4. Coat the scored squid pieces completely in the cornflour paste, then dust in the potato starch. Set aside ready to fry.
5. Deep fry the squid in oil at 190° – 200°c for 6 – 8 minutes, until crispy. Drain on kitchen towel; serve immediately with a sweet chilli sauce, or tartare sauce.