Smoked Mackerel Fishcakes with oatmeal crumbs
Ingredients: Serves 8 starter portions
For the Fishcakes:
500g medium potatoes
3 Tbsp Creamed horseradish
500g Smoked mackerel fillets – broken into chunky flakes, pin bones removed
1 bunch Spring onions finely chopped
1 Tbsp Dill leaves finely chopped
1 Lemon – grated zest
1 Free range egg beaten
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 Tbsp plain flour seasoned with salt & pepper for dusting
4 Free range eggs beaten
400g Whole oats, whizzed in a food processer, until coarsley crumbled
2 – 3 Tbsp Oil (vegetable/sunflower oil) for frying
1. Peel and chop potatoes and then boil or steam. Mash with a little butter, but no milk or cream. You want a fairly solid mash.
2. Flake the fish into a bowl and mix thoroughly with the potato, horseradish, spring onion, dill, and lemon zest. Taste the mixture and adjust to taste – need more horseradish? Need more lemon zest? Season with pepper and salt if needed (remember smoked fish is pretty salty).
3. Crack the egg into a little dish and whisk briefly with a fork to combine white and yolk. Add egg to fishy mixture to help combine.
4. Shape into fishcakes, approximately 60g in weight. Place the cakes in the fridge for an hour or so to set – they will hold their shape better upon cooking.
5. Dust each cake in seasoned flour, dip in egg wash (beaten eggs), and cover with Panko breadcrumbs.
5. Heat a little oil and in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the fishcakes until crisp and golden – around 7 minutes on one side, turn them over and finish in the oven for remaining cooking time.
6. Serve two cakes on a bed on baby leaf salad lightly dressed with lemon vinaigrette, and a ramekin of tartare sauce.
I’m just writing to let you understand what a impressive encounter my friend’s daughter had going through your site. She came to find plenty of pieces, with the inclusion of what it’s like to have a wonderful giving character to make a number of people just know just exactly selected specialized matters. You undoubtedly exceeded people’s desires. Thanks for providing such essential, dependable, educational and as well as fun guidance on that topic to Janet.
Thank you…you can sign up for e-mail alerts to keep up to date with the blog.
There are many interesting time limits in this post . nonetheless are unsure plainly see they all center to heart. There is certainly some validity however i normally takes hold opinion until I investigate it further. Good article , thanks and we want more!
http://www.adobelive.co.uk/?p=2408 Thanks for that awesome posting. It saved MUCH time 🙂
Good to see you found this article useful…this is one of my favourite recipes.
Wow, this is in every reespct what I needed to know.
Superb weblog post, I’ve book marked this world wide web internet site so ideally Ill see a lot extra on this topic within the foreseeable future!