Seared Teriyaki Beef Salad
Ingredients: Serves 2
For the beef and marinade:
2 Fillet or sirloin steaks cut across the grain
25ml Mirin – (or honey)
50ml Soy sauce – reduced sodium
15ml Dark rum – optional
1Tspn Minced ginger
1 Clove minced garlic
4 -5 Drops of tobacco or hot pepper sauce
For the salad:
35ml Raspberry vinaigrette dressing
80g Mixed salad leaves – I use rocket & oak leaf, roughly torn
75g Fine green beans or snow peas, blanched & refreshed, cut in half
2 Banana shallots, 1 diced, 1 finely shredded
50g Seasoned flour for dusting
1Tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
1 Red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
2g Toasted sesame seeds – some extra for garnish
Pinch of salt & pepper to taste
Oil for deep-frying
1) Cut the beef into strips against the grain. Combine the rest of the ingredients for the marinade, place the beef in it, and leave to marinade for around 45mins.
2) Dust the shredded, shallots in the seasoned flour, shake off excess and deep fry in hot oil for 3 – 4 minutes or until crispy. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Season Lightly.
3) Pre-heat the wok or griddle until very hot. Simply flash fry the meat – just sear it then remove from griddle / wok. The meat will continue cooking in the residual heat and should remain soft. Keep the strips of meat moving, so the sugars in the teriyaki marinade don’t burn. Baste the meat if necessary with remaining marinade.
4) Keep beef warm while you assemble the salad. Combine the remaining salad ingredients (season as desired), tossing them together with the raspberry vinaigrette. Divide between two plates. Pile the strips of beef on top of the salad, and assemble the crispy fried shallots on top of the beef. Garnish with extra sesame seeds.
5) Sit back and enjoy with a glass of wine, and some good company.